Saturday, November 3, 2007

i love, love, love when a book has a really great first line. so imagine my happiness when all three books i am reading this weekend had marvelous ones:

"My lady and I are being shut up in a tower for seven years."
-Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

"When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily"
-Almost Moon by Alice Sebold
note: this book is NOT PG by a long shot, and it is definitely not chick lit either. i am reading it for a class. however, i have to admit that I read Alice Sebold's other novel, The Lovely Bones, and i am strangely fascinated by her macabre themes and amazing writing style. plus, Lovely Bones also has a pretty good first line:
"My name is Salmon, like the fish; first name, Suzie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973."

and finally,
"Prince Raoden of Arelon awoke early that morning, completely unaware that he had been damned for all eternity."
-Elantris by Brandon Sanderson

hopefully the books will live up to their first lines. happy sigh.

3 comments:

Nanette said...

I know that Book of a Thousand Days is great! I hope you find the rest enjoyable too.

Kristen said...

1000 Days gets better and better as it goes along.

Elantris is a deeper, slower read but fascinating all the way through. :)

I re-read Twilight yesterday, and then spent the evening reading an Evanovich re-release, which was far less racy than I had anticipated. Wonderful Waste of an Evening! :)

Kristen said...

just the writing. I've got 3752 words as of now, only about 5,000 words behind - :) - but if I write 2,000 words a day I'll finish in time. ..