Read Part I Here
Because I hadn’t progressed past a 4, I was started on a low level of pitocin. As soon as it hit my system and I started laboring harder the baby again went into distress. I was immediately taken back off of it and the nurse put an oxygen mask on me and called the doctor. I’m not sure how much time passed between her calling and his arriving, but I remember thinking it felt very fast. He spoke seriously with Tyler and I about a C-section. He was very good about giving us the option of trying to labor longer, but expressed his concern that with all the factors going on that he would strongly advise a C-section. He was worried that I was still only at a 4 and that anytime my body tried to labor harder the baby was going into distress. Also, the baby was still "sunny side up." He explained that if I was farther along or if the baby was acting fine he would be more comfortable with seeing how things progressed naturally, but there were too many other warning signs.
Tyler and I both felt right about proceeding with the c-section. The doctor left and the nurse started to prep me for the surgery. Throughout the day I had wonderful nurses attending to me, but sadly, this nurse really lacked in bedside manner. I was very unaware of her, but Tyler was frustrated at her reactions the last couple of hours. She was doing the right things by placing me on oxygen and calling the doctor, but was not good at communicating with us what she was doing or why or providing any kind of reassurance. Tyler was also irritated that she wouldn’t try to help me with tasks like rolling over or helping adjust things so I could be more comfortable. I kept telling her that I was starting to feel contractions on my left side, which she somewhat dismissed saying that I could press a button for a boost from the epidural and that once in the operating room the anesthesiologist would be increasing the meds anyway.
After a while, I’m not sure how long, I was wheeled from the labor room to the OR. I was disconnected from the medicine that was being fed through the epidural. Tyler was given scrubs to change into and left in the labor room. I was still feeling pain in my left side with every contraction, but was reassured that the anesthesiologist would be there within the next few minutes.
What I remember most at this point is the pain. The rest gets very hazy for me. I remember the OR felt bright and very loud. I asked for a towel or something to put over my eyes to block the lights. I wished I still had my IPod, but didn’t have the presence of mind to ask for it. At this point, the pain I had been feeling in my left side was now radiating through my entire lower body. I was conscious of my lower body being exposed on the operating table, although I think at some point I was covered with a blanket to help with the tremors that had returned. I was laying on my back, the worst position for laboring, and couldn’t move because my legs were still numb. I started crying from the pain. Tyler was not allowed into the room until the actual time of the procedure, so I was alone. My nurse ignored me throughout the wait time, going on and on about how some nurses had eaten her pizza and now they owed her a meal. When I think about it now, I am livid from her lack of compassion or professionalism. Fortunately, one of the other nurses in the room noticed my distress and held my hand and explained what was happening. She told me that the anesthesiologist was stuck with another patient doing a really difficult epidural. I could hear my doctor in the hallway advocating for me. I heard him say that I had been off pain meds for over 45 minutes and asking if there was another anesthesiologist that could be called. He came in at one point and held my hand as well and said some comforting words to try to help me get through.
Finally the anesthesiologist arrived. She was also very kind and apologized that I had been waiting. About 5 minutes later a second anesthesiologist who had been down in surgery arrived to make sure I was getting helped. The medication was started, although it took about 10 minutes for it to work. The anesthesiologist also talked me through the pain and I finally started to feel some relief. The doctor came in and tested to make sure I had lost all feeling before he started cutting. Tyler was allowed back in the room. I was feeling really afraid at this point and continued to cry even though I no longer had pain. Tyler, the doctor, the “nice” nurse, and the anesthesiologist were fantastic and reassuring.
The doctor let me know that I would be feeling some pressure from him pulling the baby out. The nurse told me when they were suctioning out his nose and mouth. Soon he was raised above the screen for me to see him. He was born at 11:07pm. I was sobbing and kept saying “he is here.” He was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. His cry was strong and I could hear him as Tyler cut the cord and the nurses worked on cleaning him up. He was swaddled and brought over by my head where I could talk to him and see him. He had such blond hair and his skin was so soft and smooth. He was perfect. I was so tired. Too soon he was taken away with Tyler to the nursery for all the new baby stuff.
The doctor finished stitching me up. It was amusing, but strange, to have him commenting on my internal organs. His first comment was how my uterus and ovaries are nice and healthy for a couple more babies and I should come back and see them next year. My response was next year would be too early! He also asked if I was dancer because I had a really strong stomach muscle. I told him that hopefully that would mean that it would help me get my strength back faster. The last phase of the operation was the doctor placing staples and then I was done. He had called another doctor into assist, whom I was barely aware of, and he congratulated me and left. My doctor also spoke with me, saying I had done a good job and to get some rest and he would see me in the morning. He then left and the nurses got me cleaned up and moved back to the labor room for recovery. Tyler met me in there and I asked him to bring in the baby so I could look at him more. I was so exhausted and overwhelmed and needed the reassurance that he was here and okay. The nurse helped place him on me so we could try to nurse, although both of us were too sleepy for too much of that.
After maybe an hour I was taken to the postpartum area. I hardly remember getting from the one place to the other. I had been given Morphine, so I was very spacey and once in the room was finally able to sleep.
The doctor spoke with Tyler while I was getting cleaned up and moved. The baby had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck, which we actually knew from an ultrasound prior to labor. However, in Ryder’s case the cord was really tight, and the doctor confirmed that doing a c-section when we did was the right decision. He said that things would have definitely gotten scarier if we had tried to continue normal labor. It was reassuring to hear as I had really hoped to not have to go the cesarean route.
Ryder’s birth was an ordeal. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. It was the most horrible, scary, awful, disappointing, exhausting, beautiful, amazing, joyful, miraculous event of my life. The intensity of it all is impossible to describe. I am just so grateful that Ryder is finally here and safe in our arms.









3 comments:
Your story is wonderful. Thank you for sharing it Hannah. I went through a similar situation with both my girls (2 c-sections). The 2nd one was the worst though, mean and nasty nurse and all.
So happy for your little family! xo
Thank you for sharing your story! You did a great job telling it. I'm sure it is such a relief to have your sweet baby in your arms. I love how it feels that first couple of weeks after having a baby. Its tiring but so wonderful. Its funny, with my first c-section the doctor said that I must be a dancer because I had strong stomach muscles too, although with my second c-section, he said, "wow, you don't work out much, do you?" :) How things change! Anyway, he is SO adorable! Congrats!
Despite all the challenges, that is a beautiful story, it made me cry! I'm so glad everything turned out all right. I hope things are still going well. Newborn time is so hard and so short and so precious! Hopefully sometime we can meet your handsome little guy! :)
Post a Comment