Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day

So the great city of LA closed off about 10 blocks of Wilshire Avenue, a main artery into downtown, for an Earth Day celebration. The point, of course, was to encourage people to avoid driving. However, from what I observed, all it did was bog down the 10 freeway as people who usually take surface streets ended up having to take the freeway as an alternate to get to work. Now, the irony is that heavy traffic on the freeway means lots of idling cars which = more greenhouse gas emissions. Hmmm, that was thought through well.

3 comments:

Nanette said...

I was so bad today. I contributed to the smog. We were supposed to walk to school, but I drove and then drove to the bank and back to school twice and then Kristen and I drove to the park instead of walking--at least we carpooled!

Karalenn Hippen said...

Oh that is funny. I remember how people use to talk about earth day a lot in california in the schools and the city etc., but here it went by without anyone knowing it even was earth day. Oh silly Utah.

Marissa said...

Isn't the saying, "It's the thought that counts"? Unfortunately that usually means nothing else counted, I suppose. Well, at least they tried. As penelope crackers mentioned, Utah didn't even notice it.