
I watched Iron-Jawed Angels in my Leadership class on Thursday. The movie is about the women's suffragist movement. It primarily follows the efforts of Alice Paul (played by Hillary Swank) and the suffragettes in the Washington, D.C. area as they tried to secure the 19th Constitutional Amendment. It is a good thinking & awareness movie in terms of really understanding what women had to go through to secure rights we take for granted now. 112 women were arrested and imprisoned for peaceably picketing the White House. Alice Paul went on a hunger strike, was taken to the psychiatric hospital and force fed through a tube. Because of this, the movie is a little hard to watch at times, however, I can historically guarantee a good ending.
(Warning for my PG-oriented friends: There is a fairly erotic one woman bath-tub scene, doesn't show a whole lot but hints. However, it is really easy to know right where it is and fast forward through it. The rest of the movie is squeaky clean.)
I am glad I saw this movie, especially because I am sometimes a little apathetic about voting. It is good to remember that exercising my right to vote is making my voice heard, and also honoring those who fought and sacrificed to give me that right.

2 comments:
go, women! i'm glad that we can vote, and I'm glad that I was not one who had to suffer so that we could...
I'm glad I voted!
Post a Comment