Thursday, May 19, 2011

Letter to my Baby: Week 22

Week 22:  Sunday, February 20, 2011
Dear Ryder,
Today you are 5 months old!  Wow.  To celebrate we let you have your first taste of sweet potatoes.  Like all the other foods you have tried, you love them.  It is fun to be able to introduce you to new things and watch as you figure out that this is something to like.  It is also amusing when you don’t like something.  Yesterday I made your oatmeal with water instead of formula.  You kept taking bites and then wrinkling your nose and giving me a look that said ‘this doesn’t taste right.’  You wouldn’t even finish the bowl, which for you is a big deal!
You have been looking bigger in the last week or so.  Tonight, after Momma got you undressed and into a clean diaper, I stepped onto the scale with you.  According to that you now weigh 15 lbs.  No wonder you feel heavier.  Your cute blond hair is also getting longer and it is starting to fill in.  It hasn’t gotten any darker, so it looks like you will be a true tow-head.  Momma also loves your big, bright blue eyes, and perfectly chubby and kissable cheeks.
I know I have said this before, but you are a very social baby.  When you are awake you want to be held pretty much all the time, and even if you are playing in your jumparoo or sitting in your chair you want someone to be in the room talking to you.  You have even had a couple of days this week where you wouldn’t take a nap unless someone was holding you.  It is very fun that you want so much to interact with us, but it is also sometimes tiring when Momma, Daddy, or Granni need to take a break!  When that happens I just remind myself that you will only be this small for a little longer and to try to enjoy all these great baby snuggles.
You have been having good times with Granni these last couple of weeks.  Momma misses you so much when she is at work, but I am grateful that Granni is here to love you and that you and I get to play when I come home and on the weekends.  I love how when you realize I am home you smile and reach for me.  Momma is excited for when she gets to be home with you more.
Every day you continue to amaze us with your new skills and how you are obviously learning and remembering.  You recognize bottles and your cereal, and will stop crying as soon as you see we are making your food.  You are getting better at grabbing and holding onto your toys, although you still don’t have object permanence: once you drop them they are gone until you accidently rediscover them.  You know when we are eating something and can communicate very clearly when you want something too.  You love to play games, especially peek-a-boo and dancing games.  You recognize music and like to sing.  You are really good about having conversations with Momma and tell me all kinds of stories about your day.  
You bring so much sunshine and joy to my life.  Thank you for choosing me.
I love you.
Momma

No comments: