Friday, December 31, 2010

Letter to My Baby: Week 13

Monday, December 20, 2010 11:45pm
Dear Ryder,

Your Momma is beginning to think she was a bit silly for deciding to write a letter to you every week.   Even though it is late, I wanted to spend some time tonight working on this week’s letter.  Today you are 3 months old.  In fact, at this time 3 months ago, you had just been born about 40 minutes ago.  You are so amazing my little boy.  It is like you read a manual, “how to be the perfect baby.”  You are hitting all your milestones right on time, you are pleasant and happy, and you bring more joy to my life than you will ever know.  Everyone says that it keeps getting better, and I’m sure it will, but I can’t imagine it being any more wonderful than it is right at this moment.
This week you learned how to roll from your tummy to your back.  You seemed really surprised at yourself, and even a little scared, but got a big grin on your face when we all started clapping and cheering for you.  I think that tummy time might be a bit more challenging now that you are learning how to get out of it! 
As you begin to interact more with the world, it is funny to see how you surprise and startle yourself.  The other day you were learning cause and effect by hitting your toy with your hand and then giving a slightly scared cry when it came swinging back at you.  You also get frightened by loud, unexpected noises.  It breaks my heart when I hear your scared cry, but you comfort easily and I can see you thinking and figuring stuff out.
Your Momma has hurt her back and it is a little bit hard to lift you, so your grandparents and daddy took extra shifts this week.  I miss being able to move freely with you, but it is fun to see you safely in their arms and be able to look at your little facial expressions when I talk to you. 
Today we went and visited my co-workers.  I can’t believe that I will be starting work in only 3 weeks!  However, I am trying to remember that I should “deal with it when I get there” and enjoy being in the moment with you in the meantime.  I am trying to get lots of baby snuggles and love when I can pause for a few moments to hold you while you sleep and kiss your soft chubby cheeks. 
It’s strange to realize that you aren’t a newborn anymore.  You will be a baby for a long time, but already you are taking steps towards becoming more independent.  These last three months have been difficult and challenging, but I wouldn’t give them up for anything.   It’s remarkable how things happen when they should in life.   You came at just the right time and your daddy and I couldn’t be more happy to have you as part of our family.
I love you with all my heart.
Momma

2 comments:

Peterson Family Fun said...

How did you hurt your back? :(
- Heather

hannah said...

Not quite sure how I hurt it, probably just lifted the baby wrong. Dr said that it was probably the perfect storm of bedrest, c-section, and new baby :) I'm doing some PT and its feeling better.