I'm [a bit of] a perfectionist. Creativity and perfectionism don't always go well together - mostly because I don't want to do something unless I can do it "right." This is a problem because, when I write, I feel pressure to do something meaningful. To be insightful, or witty, or develop a cause, or something. And, I feel torn. Do I make this a "family" space or a "thinking" space. How to balance both? Obviously, I'm over thinking this (perfectionist, remember?).
The thing is, I really don't know what I want to do with this space. I started my blog in grad school - it was a good way to avoid research papers. Then I started reading blogs and it just got so much easier to follow other people than post myself. Then, I decided to do R.'s baby letters here, which meant they got done, but it really turned this space into an "ode to a baby". Something I wasn't trying to do.
So, I'm creating a 'goal' for 2013. To be less precise. To write something every day (gah!). But not worry about how polished it is, or having a cute picture to go along with it, or creating any kind of meaning. It is an exercise in just being here. It feels messy and awkward. Then again, new things usually do.
Happy New Year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Every day is a really big goal. I think sometimes it might be easier to just post a picture. I often get really hung up on my post being prolific, and the crazy thing is I get the most traffic on the picture posts with few words!
I think you should give yourself a goal of M,W,F or something like that! You can do this.
I think it's cool! You can find something to say every day! You might have to jot a note down here or there as you go about it - and yes, I think pictures are also key! Yay you!
Pictures always a bonus, but not required every day. Do it!!
Post a Comment