I was just asked to answer some "about-me" questions for a newsletter put out by my church. It was hard! I mean, I want to sound interesting and fun to be around (who doesn't?). I also don't want to come across as arrogant, or even worse, bland & boring. How do you paint an accurate picture of yourself without watering it down with self-deprecation? So after much deliberation, here is my attempt:
1. FULL NAME? Hannah M. Thomson
2. BIRTH DATE, BIRTH PLACE? June 4th, Provo UT
3. GREW UP WHERE? Payson, UT (small town on the outskirts of civilization)
4. SIBLINGS? 1 younger sister, 1 younger brother
5. MARRIED? CHILDREN? Married for 13 years to Tyler in March. Ryder, age 2.
6. TALENTS? Hmm. Not sure how to answer this. People tell me that I am very calm (which my husband loves, because in tense situations he gets to be the one freaking out while I keep cool) - guess that is a talent? I also love to teach, especially "do-gooder" subjects (again a Tyler phrase), like interpersonal skills, stress management, problem-solving, etc. I play guitar, hippy folk songs mostly, but consider that more of a hobby.
7. DO YOU LIKE TO COOK? I do like to cook, although I don't really like to bake. I'm a bit of a health nut and am always trying to find recipes that incorporate more whole and homemade foods. Ty does his best to thwart these efforts by creating goals like finding the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe.
8. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT? This answer changes constantly. I love to learn and would be a professional student if I could get away with it. Right now, I want to learn more about gardening and horticulture. I'm fascinated by neuropsychology. I am also listening to a lecture series on Children's Literature.
9. MEMBER OF THE CHURCH HOW LONG? My parents converted before I was born. They threw away most of their awesome 60's clothes and records, thinking they weren't church appropriate (heart-breaking! - I still mourn that loss).
10. SERVE A MISSION? Nope.
11. FAVORITE MUSIC, BOOK, MOVIE? Hard to answer. I'm not picky about music, and basically like anything that has a good tune and I can sing along to. I love to read, and probably average a book a week. I don't know that I have a favorite, but I read Les Miserables every few years. When I want comfort books I turn to the Anne of Green Gables series or Laura Ingalls Wilder.
No opinion on movies, although I do like to watch them and love the old musicals.
12. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CALLING YOU HAVE HAD? Relief Society Teacher
13. FAVORITE SCRIPTURE, HYMN? Be Still, My Soul
14. SOMETHING INTERESTING THAT FEW PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT YOU? I feel like I talk about this a lot, so not sure it something "few know": I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I have experience working with mental illness, addictions, homelessness, etc. I am currently an adjunct lecturer at USC; teaching trainings in Motivational Interviewing (MI) and Problem-Solving Therapy. I have just been hired to provide individual counseling services and supervise student interns.
15. ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD? I exercise early in the morning and am always looking for victims, I mean partners, to join me. I keep a blog at www.hmrt.blogspot.com if you would like to read more of my almost-daily ramblings.
No comments:
Post a Comment